Friday, November 21, 2014

Vegan Recipe: Creamy Basil Sauce

This is a lovely little recipe that I pulled out of my ass.
 
It's completely vegan and very healthy.
 
Creamy Basil Sauce:
 
1 organic avocado
5-10 fresh organic basil leaves
garlic salt
1/2 cup hemp milk
2 tbsp olive oil
pepper
blender/magic bullet/blendy thingy
 
I love this recipe because it is so incredibly easy to make! Start by cutting the avocado in half and scooping out the insides into the blender. (discarding the seed of course) Add the fresh basil, olive oil, and hemp milk. Blend until smooth. Add pepper and garlic salt to taste. I prefer a lot of garlicy goodness in mine.
 
This sauce makes a great pasta topper. I didn't bother warming my sauce before putting it on the pasta because the pasta warmed it for me, but of course you could heat your sauce in a pan over the stove top.
 
Recipe Substitutions:
 
.I used pasta made completely from whole wheat with no other added ingredients, but any vegan pasta would go great with this sauce! Quinoa pasta adds extra protein.
 
.Instead of using garlic salt, try sauteing fresh minced garlic with chopped onions in little bit of olive oil. Once golden brown, add to blender to be blended in with the rest of the ingredients. This is a healthier alternative to using garlic salt.
 
.Instead of hemp milk, any non dairy milk can be substituted. I used hemp milk because it's what I had on hand. Unsweetened soy, almond, rice milk etc would do just fine.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment