Monday, February 2, 2015

Guest Blogger: shannanigins



Hi! My name is Shanna, and I'll be guest blogging on Brittany's blog!

I'm currently a student and assistant to makeup-artist Linh Tran. I've been working for her for about 2 years and have learned so much about makeup and the technicalities regarding different types of makeup for different people.  

I am Asian, so my eyes aren't huge (lol). I have hooded eyes so when I open I have little to no lid space showing. So, makeup can be a bit tricky since nothing really ends up showing. 
 
On a day out this is how I would typically do my makeup-- smokey bronze.

I like to use bronze tones because it doesn't look too dramatic (i.e. black smokey eye) so it's easy to wear through the day and going into the night. Bronzes are also super complementary on all skin tones. An upward smokey (dark at the base and gradients upward) also helps to add depth, which is desired for hooded/smaller eyes. 
 
Step by step how to:
1. prime with urban decay matte primer (I have really oily skin so this helps my eye shadow stay throughout the day)

2. apply matte beige tone all over the eye (used Mac shadow in BrulĂ©) I find applying a skin tone color over the primer helps to seal it and make it easier to blend shadows later  

3. apply dark bronze tone all over the lid with a flat brush (Smashbox chestnut from the headshot trio) and with a clean fluffy brush, blend the bronze upward stopping at the crease 

4. take a matte light brown shade and beginning in the crease, blend the bronze and the matte light brown together in back and forth motions, and lightly a bit upward above the crease (used MAC shadows in soft brown and bronze mixed together) 

5. take another blending brush with a darker bronze shade or any warm dark brown color and apply right above the lash line and blend upward (used MAC shadow in embark

6. apply false lashes--I used Luxie Berry Wendy Lashes in Desirable. (if you have long lashes you can just apply mascara and eyeliner if desired) 

 notes: 
-I have little to no lashes so i don't apply mascara at all. 
-because my eyes are already almond shaped and hooded, I don't like to apply eyeliner because it won't show and winged liner elongates eyes, which I don't want because my eyes already taper out at the ends and winged liner would only make them appear smaller. False lashes also help to open up the eyes and make them appear larger. (look for lashes longer in the center rather than just at the ends)  

7. apply black eyeliner on the bottom lash line (half way) and smudge with brown & bronze shadow. 
note: smudged liner on the bottom lash line helps to make eyes appear wider. applying liner on the WATER line will make eyes look smaller. 


I hope this helps anyone looking for an easy to wear light smokey or anyone with hooded/smaller eyes !!


xoxo,
Shanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment