Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Sunset Eyes Makeup Tutorial


ALRIGHT. LET'S DO DIS.

I got some new Sugarpill eyeshadows, and of course, I instantaneously had to try them out and play with them. Sugarpill is a wonderful brand. If you haven't used their products, I really recommend you try them out. All of their eyeshadows are cruelty free and a lot are vegan. Sugarpill specializes in bright, vivid, pigmented, and shimmery eyeshadows... definitely worth a try!

product list: 

  • NARS radiant creamy concealer in "custard"
  • Laura Mercier translucent loose setting powder
  • a pink unnamed blush
  • Becca pressed highlighting powder in "Opal" (my favorite)
  • Anastasia Beverly Hills brow pomade in "ebony"
  • Bite Beauty matte creme lip crayon in "clementine" (limited edition shade)
  • NYX lip liner pencil in "852 pumpkin"
  • Tarte lights, camera, lashes mascara
  • Stila eyeshadow in "kitten"
  • Sugarpill pressed eyeshadows in "buttercupcake" "flamepoint" and "love+"
  • Elaina Badro and Sephora brushes
 

Now that you know the products I used, let's get on to the how-to!

steps:

  1. Foundation. Surprisingly enough, I used no foundation at all for this look. Any and all of the coverage that I got came from the NARS radiant creamy concealer. I start by dabbing it on any spots I have on my face and under my eyes, where my dark circles are. I then blend with my finger. After those problem areas are taken care of, I dot the concealer all over my face, focusing on areas where I have redness. (like my nose, and lips etc) I then bleeeeend it out with my ring finger. I really love using this concealer as my "foundation" because it is so light on my skin, provides medium, buildable coverage, and it has a natural finish. After I'm satisfied with the coverage, I set it with the Laura Mercier powder. I lightly dust the powder all over, but I focus it on my undereyes and anywhere I know I get greasy easily, like my T zone.
  2. Blush and Highlight. I chose a pink blush because I think pink went so well with the colors that were on my eyes. If I had chosen a blush that was too warm it would have been way too many super warm colors on my face. So, I chose a pink instead of an peachy blush. For my face shape (oval/heart) I put my blush along the length of my cheeks back to my temples, and not so much on the apples of my cheeks. This is especially nice because I chose not to use any contour in the look and lengthening my blush like this helps accentuate my bone structure. After I am happy with my blush, I sweep the Becca highlighter onto the tops of my cheekbones and up and around over my temples and just over my eyebrow. This is the classic "C" shape of highlighting. After I highlight, I go back in with my blush and finish off my cheeks one last time.
  3. Eyebrows. I use a Sephora eyebrow brush in this case. It's an angled natural bristle brush. Remember when using ABH dip brow that a little goes a long way. I also have very naturally thick eyebrows and I don't need a ton of product to fill them in. Even so, it is easy to overdo it. When I pick up product onto my brush I barely tap the end of the bristles into the dip brow. This is usually enough to do one whole eyebrow. I always start with the outer points of my brows, because this is where I want most of the product to go. I darken and define the outer corners, and then use what is left on my brush to lightly fill in the inner portions of my eyebrows.
  4. Eyes. My lids were primed with the same NARS concealer and then powdered with the Laura Mercier powder. I started with highlighting my brow bone just under my eyebrows with Stila "kitten". I blended that down from my brow to just above my crease. I then pressed "love+" onto my lid, then blending up just barely into the crease. I used "flamepoint" as my transition color. I blended flamepoint into my crease and upwards just barely. Finally, I took "buttercupcake" and blended it between flamepoint and kitten. After that I went back with love+ and brightened up my lid. I then moved onto the drop shadow. (which is the lower lid, under the eye) I used an Elaina Badro pencil eyeshadow brush to put a fair amount of buttercupcake underneath my entire eye and around, matching up to the shadow I had on my lid. I then took flamepoint and did the same thing, but with only a thinner amount of it under my eye. (I am creating a sort of ombre effect, just like I did with the top of my eye.) Finally, I dampened a Sephora angled liner brush and picked up some pigment from love+. I used this to line just under my lower lashes. I finished off my eyes by using Tarte mascara starting on my lower lashes and then going over my upper lashes twice. No falsies were used this time.
  5. Lips. I lined my lips with the NYX liner, going just barely outside of my natural line. I then use the bite lip crayon, blending with my finger.
I would like to make a note about color theory here.

I have green eyes. Do you notice how much they stand out with the colors I chose?

When choosing an eyeshadow, if your goal is to make the natural color of your eyes pop, using the complimentary color of them will definitely do that. 

green eyes: the complimentary color to green is red. This is why my eyes are popping so much next to my love+ eyeshadow. If your eyes are more of a blue-green, then a deep, burnt red-orange compliments best. If your eyes are more of a light, yellow-green, deep red-purples look best. Now, not everyone with green eyes will want to wear red eyeshadow, so a good replacement color is purple. Purples and maroons look stunning on anyone with green eyes, because they have enough of that red tint in them that they still make green pop.

brown eyes: Brown is technically the result of mixing all colors together, and it is a neutral color. Therefore, there is no complimentary color for brown. However, there are some colors that still go great with brown eyes, depending on the kind of brown your eyes are. If your eyes are more hazel... (say, they have a little bit of green or yellow in them) purples do a fine job. If your eyes are an amber or light brown color, dark neutral colors will really make your eyes pop. If your eyes are dark brown or almost black, light, bronze, and neutral colors look best. Even tones of pink/taupey colors look good on really dark brown eyes. I also LOVE gray tones on any shades of brown eyes. Gray is also a neutral color, like brown. So, the key to making your eyes pop is using the right shades of gray for your eyes. Light brown and amber eyes look almost like they are glowing when they are set against deep, dark, steely, smokey grays. Dark brown eyes pop with lighter grays, ashy neutral tones, and silvers.

blue eyes: The complimentary color to blue is orange. If your eyes are a very dark blue, almost purplely blue, a light, yellowy orange looks best. If your eyes are closer to blue-green, dark, deep burnt red-orange looks best. I realize that most people with blue eyes won't necessarily want to wear orange eyeshadow. Purple, blue, and browns are beautiful substitutions. (Gray is beautiful too.) I think blue eyes are the most versatile when it comes to what colors you can wear on your eyes. I personally like super bronzy smokey eyes on blue-eyed people. A dark navy eyeliner compliments blue eyes very well. Purple has just enough warmth in it that is also acts as a great compliment to blue eyes.

If you find this confusing, I don't blame you. Here's a simple trick to picking eyeshadow that will look good on any eye color: A natural, neutral eye looks good on anyone. Put a base vanilla color, and contour with a light brown in your crease. Done. Secondly, if you noticed, purple was mentioned for all three eye colors above. Purple is extremely versatile and can be used for a pop of color and to accentuate any eye color, especially if it is done subtly.
There you have it!

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Viva la Sugarpill!

BKL
 

No comments:

Post a Comment